This infographic shows how facebook is being used in criminal and legal investigations; whether it is being used to solve crimes, or whether it is cause for the crime itself. In 2010, 7,454 calls from police were related to social media. Facebook’s ability to monitor its users means that crimes are often solved by monitoring what is posted. For example, a man used facebook to try and hire a hit-man to kill a woman who accused him of rape; he now faces 11-22 years in prison. A woman decapitated a mouse and put a video of it up on facebook was found guilty and reprimanded accordingly. Needless to say, facebook has also exacerbated the instances of crime.
- SocialMediaDesign – [Infographic] 20 Cases Solved By Using Facebook (readwriteweb.com)
- Super Obnoxious Or Super Smart? Solve Media’s Plan To Kill Off Pre-Roll Advertisements (businessinsider.com)
- Infamous Crimes Solved on Facebook (pochp.wordpress.com)
- Circle K Stores Begin Using Facebook To Shame Criminals (inquisitr.com)
- Israeli leader can expect enthusiastic Congressional reception to tough talk … – Washington Post (washingtonpost.com)
- Russia election: Police release anti-Putin protesters – BBC News (bbc.co.uk)
- Facebook Chat is broken (March 2012) (zdnet.com)